~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Kids~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What goes up........must come down.

Our roof has been in need of repair for a while now. Todd had a person lined up to work on it, but something kept coming up and he never made it here.  Today it rained quite a bit and we almost had water in our closet. Todd didn't feel comfortable going up on the roof. He said it really needed to be a smaller person. We were trying to think of someone that could do it on a Sunday afternoon.....then I suggested that *I* could do it!

So I put on some jeans and several layers of clothing.

Not the most attractive pic of me...but Silas was taking them through the window.


Todd taught me how to use the caulking gun and we headed outside. It was sleeting by this point. We knew we needed to do something quickly because the temperature was dropping and anything we used would not set if it got too cold.

Up the ladder I went......thoughts were racing through my mind.

-What was I thinking?
- I can't do this.
- The ladder is moving!
- I've got to get down.
- No. This needs done. I can do this.
- Ummm, no I can't.

At this point I was at the top of the ladder. Yes, I had all those thoughts before I even got off the ladder.
It didn't help that the ladder was sitting in the back of Todd's truck. He was holding it steady but the truck was bouncing every time he shifted feet. Makes me <shudder> just thinking about it.

I placed my glove-covered (latex free gloves!) hands on the roof....Cold and Slippery....and tried to figure out how in the world I was going to get to the area that needed repaired. Our roof is actually not very steep. Most roofers wouldn't worry a thing about it and would be jogging up and down. I know I'm pathetic.

I managed to get my hands and knees on the roof. Then I froze!  I was scared to death and couldn't do it. I could hardly even back myself down onto the ladder. Todd just laughed and said he appreciated that I was willing to try. The thought had never crossed his mind to ask me to do it.

Thankfully, a wonderful friend is up there as I type, doing a much better job than I ever could have imagined!

Have a blessed day! ~Tammy

No comments: