~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Kids~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quick Cobbler

A very sweet family member (you know who you are!) gave us some yummy fresh peaches. We devoured several of them, but a few were getting soft.  I decided to make up a quick cobbler. Not a REAL cobbler mind  you, but a quick one.

What's the difference? You ask. If you search the internet you will get all sorts of definitions of what a cobbler is. In my not-so-humble opinion a true cobbler is made up of what equates to 3 or 4 pie crusts and fruit filling. You put half of the crust on the bottom of the pan and then place the filling. Then top it with the remaining pie crust in strips like lattice. It's pretty and delectable! But it takes time. Which of course is a hot commodity at our house.

Quick cobbler has more of a cake-like topping over the berry filling.

So....quick cobbler it was!

I glanced through my recipe and I realized I only had enough peaches for about a 9x9 pan. Well, that is certainly not enough for our little family. Since I happened to have a huge amount of organic blueberries in my freezer I did a search for peaches and blueberries on allrecipes.com. *Did you know you can search their site for specific ingredients you do or do not want??? wonderful tool!*  Believe it or not there were a few cobblers with both of these listed in the ingredients. I figured if it's good enough to be in a recipe online then I can at least try it.

I took a great picture before I put it in the oven, but I failed to realize my memory stick was not in the camera. doh!  So just pretend you are looking at a lovely picture of cobbler batter with berries on top. I wanted to show that you really do just put the berries on top and throw it in the oven. When it's done it looks like you put a whole lot more work into it than you actually did. That's my kind of recipe!

Anyway, here is an after shot. Yes, it was as yummy as it looks! See? The berries are under the crust. Genius.




Here's the recipe....

Ingredients
  • 1 stick Butter
  • 1-¼ cup Sugar -divided
  • 1 cup Self-Rising Flour
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 2 cups berries (frozen or fresh)
Preheat oven to 350*. Melt butter directly in a 9x9 pan. Add 1 cup granulated sugar and mix in with a whisk. Add 1 cup self rising flour and 1 cup milk. Whisk all ingredients till smooth.  Dump the berries over the top. 

Bake at 350* for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. 


That's it!  I love this recipe because I can mix it up directly in the baking dish. I detest dishes. When I made this in my 9x13 I doubled the recipe. It took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to bake but I think I added more berries than it called for. Either way, it was yummy!  

I have done this with mixed berries, raspberries and now peaches/blueberries. It's always perfect.

If you don't have self rising flour on hand, don't worry. It's just a time saver. I keep  mine in my freezer because I only use it for a couple recipes that I want to do up quickly.  One cup self-rising flour equals:
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, plus
1/8 teaspoons salt.

Oh and a tip I learned recently - if you are using frozen berries, just rinse them off quickly. If you thaw them and put them in the cobbler it may turn out purple because the juice runs all over. Just throw them in frozen.

Let me know if you try this easy cobbler.



No comments: