~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Kids~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

We started a new menu plan.

I've been thinking of doing it for quite a while. Finally bit the bullet.

We have been free of preservatives and artificial colors/flavors for four years now. That helped our family tremendously!  I still felt some things could be better.

So on top of those eliminations we are also eliminating:

grains
dairy (we can have limited butter and cream cheese)
sugar(!)
beans
pork
corn
beans
sugar(!)
processed meats
white potatoes
green beans
green peppers
bananas
sugar(!)
carbonated beverages
tea
coffee (we don't drink it anyway)
sugar(!)
There are some other things eliminated as well, but these were some major staples in our house.

As you can see, I am really missing the sugar. I knew that it was a problem though, which is part of the reason for this diet. No this is not to loose weight, although I hope it will be a nice side effect. I'm hoping this will clear up some health issues for each of us.

The first couple days I had a major headache. I think that was due to having no caffeine. Yesterday was pretty good, but today......oy!  The headache is back.

We have found some new snacks that we are enjoying. Plums! Who knew?

I have made some new recipes that have taken quite a while to complete but were pretty tasty all the same.
We've had sweet potato pancakes, butternut squash soup and caulitators. Yes, you read that right, caulitators!  It's basically steamed cauliflower blended with cream cheese and butter to make like mashed potatoes. They tasted nothing like mashed potatoes, but they were pretty good. We'll make them again, I'm sure.

We are doing this for 4 to 6 weeks. At that point we may (probably) add some of these things back in.  It all depends on how we are feeling.

If you are interested in the specific plan we are following you can read about it here .

It's fascinating stuff really. There are a couple videos for those who would prefer those. Oh and I know none of us are autistic. ;-)  This plan just seemed to kill several birds with one stone and allowed me to fix the same basic foods for the entire family. Much easier than figuring out 7 different meals.



Have a blessed day! ~Tammy

No comments: